Thursday, August 27, 2009

Media technology should stay out of the classroom!

Howdy.  

My name is Art.  I'm a freelance film/video writer and director who has not been getting much work lately, so I've begun my back-up plan which brings me here to CSUN.  Currently I'm taking the necessary classes in order to get an english single subject waiver.

So I don't think media technology should be completely abolished from the classroom, but there is a part of me that thinks the current trend to integrate is going a bit too far, so I thought I would play the devil's advocate.   Here are some reasons:

1.  There are always technological hiccups.  I know that our class is meant to fix this problem to a certain extent, but I've never been in a classroom where there were not problems getting the technology to work.  Whether it is the professor who has been utilizing the classroom for years, or the new student who has decided to do a powerpoint slideshow to spruce up their presentation, there are just too many x-factors involved because of the wide range of equipment and just from human error.  Delays and crashes seem inevitable.

2.  Speaking of powerpoint presentations to spruce up a discussion or lecture, can anyone give me an example of a time where that was actually the case?  Powerpoint to me is the muzak of presentations.  It's a way to put a sugar coating on what may be deemed to some to be dry material.  However, powerpoint is not the answer.  Adding some soft jazz music and pretty pictures of waterfalls will not get your audience involved, the speaker/lecturer is the one who should do that.  Instead of wasting time on google trying to find video re-enactments of your subject matter, maybe lecturers should work on their oratory skills.

3.  My last point (or argument, I guess)  is that maybe we don't need technology in the classroom whatsoever.  In fact, maybe the classroom should serve as a respite, a sanctuary that embraces the ideas of conversation and storytelling without 21st century technological devices. Don't these kids get inundated with constant digital stimulus outside of the classroom?  From the very moment class is dismissed the ipods go on and the text messaging begins.  I would argue in order to develop  these adolescents into well rounded adults it is important to keep the technological aids to a minimum so that they might begin to embrace the merits of good old fashioned listening and discussion.

So those are my thoughts.  Do you agree or disagree?  Please let me know.

Thanks,
Art

3 comments:

  1. Art,

    I could not agree more with your opinion. As I read some of the other blogs, it seems as though many of the students share the same belief. Media and technology in the classroom are fine in moderation. But as you stated in your second point, "powerpoint is not the answer." I have had professors lecture solely with powerpoint and even print the slides out as notes for the class. Not only does this create a lazy dependence on the professor, I think it actually stifles the learning process by narrowing the means of information intake. In that aspect, I agree with your final point concerning the importance of finding the beauty in "good old fashioned listening and discussion."

    I would be curious to survey some younger high school students on this same issue to hear what they have to say about the importance of media in the classroom. Am I, at 21 years of age, already old-fashioned in my views of education? Perhaps, but I think that even high school students these days would become bored with a continuous onslaught of technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Art,

    Fascinating comments! Here are my responses:

    Regarding number 1: I agree there'll always be technological hiccups; however, what if this world is getting dangerously "perfect?" I'm not saying "perfect" in terms of human divinity and such, but "perfect" in a way that mistakes in technology are going to be extremely minimized. I'll play a devil's advocate, as well... so let's say we're getting smarter. Inevitability, doctors nowadays are trying to get into our minds. It gives me a reason to believe that they're hoping to find a way to make us less human and more of a machine. The scariest part is I read a magazine a couple years ago about how our life expectancy can be extended up to 200 years old with various technology on a human being.

    Regarding number 2: I don't see a problem with "sprucing up" Powerpoint Presentations with some sort of fancy stuff like music and videos. Let's say you're going to study poetry. You have a Deaf individual in class. The words (the dry material) are confusing your Deaf student. In the next slide, you got a video of a native ASL signer who expresses a poetry of some sort. The Deaf individual might see it as if it's some sort of "eye candy." What you're getting out of this is a rich and meaningful experience for this Deaf student. This person "sees" the language of poetry. So, spruce up! :-)

    Regarding number 3: I think technology could stimulate a young person's mind in terms of speed. With just chalk and black-board, it's highly likely that a student with accessible needs will be far behind compared to that of his/her peers. I know it's kind of expensive getting some technology in a class, but I think wasting a person's life is even more expensive. But that's just my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Art - thanks for commenting to my blog, in particular, your questions regarding technology and parenting. I am proud to say I have done a pretty good job at minimizing my son's dependence on technology. I have always limited his t.v. time, which he has recently opted to switch for computer time (where he spends his hour looking up police car photos). My youngest child, however, is quickly becoming a t.v. addict and I am going to have to stage an intervention. Luckily school is starting next week and she's less apt to watch t.v. when she gets home because she isn't "bored" with the house activities. Neither child has, or will have anytime soon, GameBoys or Wii and I hope to keep them away from social networking on the computer for as long as possible. I won't pass judgement on other parents whose children have more access to technology. I only know for my kids I would lose a lot of control over what they're exposed to and thus, what shapes them. I think technology is a phenomenal tool that we all benefit from. But it does have its drawbacks and the next generation will struggle with finding a balance. The fact that you're already wondering how to deal with it as a parent tells me you'll be involved and know what limits to set. Take care!

    ReplyDelete